Updated January 24th, 2024
☆ Top Pick
☆ Top Pick
☆ Best Value
Miw Piw Natural Dish Sponge
What is the Scrub Daddy?
The Scrub Daddy is a sponge that was first shown on the TV show Shark Tank in 2012. Since then it has become the highest grossing product ever pitched on the show. It is a sponge that is rigid when it’s dry or in cold water but gets soft and spongy when in hot water. They have awesome scrubbing ability. Their smiley shape has several functions including be able to clean silverware or utensiles by sliding them through the mouth or eye holes. It is really an excellent product if you don’t take into consideration the environmental impact of it’s plastic composition.
Scrub Daddy is made from recyclable plastic material. You can toss it in your curb side recycling bin when it is too worn out to use again rather than throwing it in the trash can.
The Original Scrub Daddy
- TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED SCRUB – You control your scrubbing power! Scrub Daddy’s FlexTexture foam is firm in cold water for tough scrubbing and soft in warm water for light cleaning.
- SCRATCH-FREE – Safe to use on over a dozen different surfaces (i.e. glass, stainless steel, cast iron, non-stick coatings, copper, chrome, leather).
- ODOR RESISTANT – Scrub Daddy is lab tested to not hold odors for up to 8 weeks when properly maintained
- FLEXIBLE – Quickly and efficiently clean utensils, dishes, furniture, siding, sneakers, bathtubs and more!
The Top 6 Best Biodegradable Scrub Daddy Alternatives
As an alternative, there are now plant-based sponges and scrubbers, to replace your Scrub Daddy, for cleaning dishes that can be composted in your home compost pile when you are finished with them. As the sponge deteriorates with use, you are not adding plastic to the water supply. The remains of the sponge won’t be around for years later in a landfill or polluting the sea as microplastics. Below are our top 6 picks for the best biodegradable scrub daddy alternatives
1 – Skoy Scrub, Non-Scratching, Reusable Scrub for Kitchen and Household Use
☆ Top Pick
- Reusable and Long-lasting Dish Scrub – A new concept in kitchen scouring pads, the Skoy Scrub is a reusable scrub made from cotton and a food grade non-toxic hardener that outlasts traditional scrubbers
- Replace Traditional Scouring Pads – Replace the old green scouring pads or scrub sponges with these colorful and trendy Skoy Scrubs. These long-lasting and environmentally friendly scrubs will help you save money and control waste
- Easy to Clean – The kitchen scrubber can be easily cleaned in the dishwasher. If food particles are caught in the scrub, simply rub the scrub against itself.
- Safe on Most Surfaces – The Skoy Dish Scrub is safe for use on non-stick pans, ceramic, glass, and cooktops. The reusable scrub is not limited to the kitchen and works well on most surfaces
The Skoy Kitchen Scrub is a great cleaning scrub that won’t leave plastic in the landfills. It is made primarily from cotton (98%) with a non toxic hardener. They are safe for non stick pans and other delicate surfaces. They are aggressive enough to remove stuck on food and grime. They can be cleaned and last up to 6 months before needing to be replaced.
Customers felt the Skoy Scrubbers did a great job cleaning tough surfaces. They are stiff sponges that might feel too much for glass or other fragile surfaces. They do a great job on pots and pans and also work well in the bathroom on tile. They have a gritty surface that makes quick work of almost any stuck on mess.
2 – Wet-it Skrubba New European Scrubby Non-Scratching Scouring Pad
☆ Top Pick
- A set of three cotton blend Skrubby’s that will NOT SCRATCH most common household surfaces.
- Made in Europe. 94% Cotton, 2% polyester, 4% eco-friendly non-toxic coating. Last 6 months under normal use. Can be cleaned in the dishwasher or washing machine.
- Safe for non-stick pots and pans, microwaves, ceramic-glass, cooktop stoves, granite, stainless steel, tiles, laminate floors, windows, and vinyl siding. Use on RVs, fiberglass boats, outdoor furniture, pools and liners, and even that road tar on the exterior of your car … without a SCRATCH! Never use toxic chemicals again, just a Skrubba and liquid soap!
Wet-it Skrubba New European Scrubby Non-Scratching Scouring Pads are safe for the environment and get the job done. They are made from cotton and an eco friendly non stick coating. They won’t scratch your non-stick pans and other surfaces. They are safe for almost any cleaning job. After 6 months you don’t have to worry about what to do with a leftover plastic sponge. Toss in your compost pile.
Customers found the Scrubba to be abrasive and durable. They work great at removing stuck on food. They can be reused and cleaned so you don’t have a smelly sponge sitting around in your kitchen.
☆ Best Value
- 100% Plastic-Free – These bio-degradeable kitchen scrubbies are loufah vegetable leaves. Toss into compost pile when they’re worn out.
- Smart & Handy Design – Water shape design so it can be used on all types of nonstick cookware, pot, pan, glass, dish, and fit into a small cup.
- New Experience – Sponge veggie loofah is soft in water but hard enough to get the tough stuff done. The more you use it the more it becomes soft
Miw Piw Natural Dish Sponge Vegetable Scrubbers are made from loofah leaves. Because they are made from naturally grown leaves they are plant fiber and will naturally biodegrade in your home compost pile when you’re done with them.
The sponges have enough grit in them for the toughest cleaning job. They can be cleaned in the dishwasher between uses to keep them clean and ready for the next use.
They don’t quite have the grit of traditional Scotch Brite pads or Scrub Daddy sponges but almost. Most users reported they do a good job of scrubbing off messes even on tough cast iron skillets and other not non-stick surfaces.
- Eco-friendly kitchen cloth by SIMPLYCASA is made of 70 % cellulose (wood pulp) & 30% cotton, printed with water based inks. 100% Biodegradable.
- Super absorbent material that absorbs and holds 15 times its weight in water. The cloth is stiff at first, which allows them to be printed with beautiful illustrations but they become very soft and pliable when wet.
- Each dishcloth replaces up to 15 rolls of paper towels. This concept will not only save money but will also be friendly to our planet because there will be much less waste.
SIMPLYCASA Swedish Cloths are made of 70 % cellulose (wood pulp) & 30% cotton, 100% chemical-free, printed with water-based inks. They are claimed to be compostable but are not certified. They may compost in a home compost pile. If anyone buys them and tries please comment on the results below.
These cloths are absorbant for cleaning up spills. They are machine washable so can be reused many many times.
Users reported the cloths are very absorbent similar to paper towels but heavier so work well for scrubbing dishes. They do an excellent job wiping up spilled liquids. Users reported they clean up very well when through in the clothes washer with the rest of their laundry.
- THE PERFECT ALTERNATIVE TO YOUR PLASTIC KITCHEN SPONGE – With a need to reduce our plastic usage, this product utilizes a simple natural plant product as a highly effective replacement to your current kitchen sponge.
- 100% PLANT-BASED – Our ENEY kitchen sponges are made from natural, unbleached Loofah, a fast-growing vegetable
- 100% PLASTIC-FREE – Did you know most kitchen sponges are made from plastic and will never biodegrade.
- STRONG AND ODOR-FREE – Each sponge will last for approximate 6-8 weeks with regular use.
ENEY Eco-Friendly Natural Kitchen Washing Up Sponges are made from loofah leaves. Because they are made from naturally grown leaves they are plant fiber and will naturally biodegrade in your home compost pile when you’re done with them.
The sponges have enough grit in them for the toughest cleaning job. They don’t quite have the grit of traditional Scotch Brite pads or Scrub Daddy sponges but almost. They can be cleaned in the dishwasher as well between uses. They come in a flattened shape. They will expand to their normal rounded shape after getting wet and used the first time.
Like other loofah sponges, customers thought that they worked well for scrubbing tough stuck-on dirt. The loofah has a good naturally abrasive surface. They will sponge up liquid to some amount but not as good as a traditional sponge.
- EXTRA ABSORBENT – Our Sponge Cloths are made with a patented process that blends cellulose, non-GMO unbleached cotton, and mirabilite – a natural mineral salt
- REUSABLE & WASHABLE – Our Sponge Cloths and packaging are made from 100% renewable resources and are both compostable.
- HIGHLY VERSATILE – Rinse cloth and wring out excess water to increase absorbency. Use with water, soap, and any household cleaner to scrub and wipe surfaces in your kitchen
If You Care Natural Sponge Cloths are made from 70% Cellulose and 30% unbleached non-GMO cotton. They are BPI and Vincotte certified as compostable. They require an industrial composting facility to breakdown and will not compost in your backyard home composting pile.
They are machine washable and can be reused up to 300 times. The cloths soften when wet for wiping up messes.
Users reported product is on the rigid side when it is dry. After getting damp they soften up and act like traditional towels. They work well for wiping up messes and scrubbing dishes. They do not work that well in situations where you want a softer dry cloth for wiping.
Biodegrable Scrub Daddy Alternative FAQ
Q: What does Biodegradable mean?
Biodegradable means that a substance will break down by biological processes. Algae, bacteria or other natural forces will cause it to breakdown into its natural components. It can still leave behind metals or other byproduct materials. It doesn’t specify time so some items are biodegradable but may take hundreds of years for the process to complete. Usually, if something is labeled as biodegradable it will break down in a relatively short time span of days to months, not years.
Q: What does Compostable mean?
Compostable means that a substance is made of organic matter that can be broken down back into organic matter that can be reused as soil. Many substances require specific conditions for composting to occur. Something may be compostable but not compostable in your backyard compost pile. Many compostable items require the conditions present in an industrial composting facility to break down. They won’t break down in your home compost pile or in a landfill.
See our article to learn more about the difference between Biodegrable and Compostable Products. or watch the video below.
You might also like:
- 14 Helpful Tips For Keeping A Refrigerator In The Garage
- The Best Doorbell Camera Without Subscription Helpful Guide
About the author
My name is Doug Ryan. I am a homeowner and love having get togethers and finding the best things to make spending time at home easier and more fun. We spend a lot of time at home so why shouldn’t we have a great time there? I decided to start Budget Home Insider as a way to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for all things home living with everyone.